First, I would like to thank Karandi from 100 Word Anime for the nomination. If you are somehow not already following their amazing blog, I highly suggest you do so. They review an incredible amount of different series at a time, from shows airing this season episode by episode, to old classics and everything in between. Plus they have fun features and top five lists every week, so please if you haven’t already, check them out!
- Thank the person who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write then 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
1. What made you decide to start blogging and how long have you been doing it for?
I started blogging initially about two years ago since it was a requirement for a writing class I was taking at the time, which lead to me creating this blog about a year ago. I created this one since I kind of just wanted to write my opinions and thoughts about anime and other forms of J-culture. Unfortunately, I initially lost motivation and free time, and stopped writing, only to pick it back up about a month ago now.
2. What is your favorite anime series?
While this is a nearly impossible question to answer, and many other bloggers will agree with that statement I think, I would have to choose The Devil is a Part-Timer! as it is the show that got me into comedy anime. I think I also decided to start learning Japanese and in turn study abroad in Japan because of it. So I suppose I owe a lot to that show.
3. If you could change one thing about your favorite anime series what would it be?
As a joke answer, I would change it so that it never ends. On a more serious note, I would probably make it so it follows more closely to the Light Novel source material. The LN starts with Maou already living in Japan, whereas the anime starts from Maou’s downfall and eventual self-exile to Japan.
4. Least favorite genre (anime/tv series/books/anything)?
I am not a huge fan of soap operas. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Days of our Lives can get over a thousand episodes, and I cannot get a season two of Deadman Wonderland or The Devil is a Part-Timer!. It is outrageous I tell you.
5. Fictional character you might have a crush on?
Right now the only one I can think of is Chitoge Kirisaki from Nisekoi, but that was “just a phase.” Other than that I really don’t know. Though I did have a big crush on Terra from Teen Titans when I was a little kid.
6. Favorite opening theme for an anime?
“Crossing Field” by LiSA (Sword Art Online OP1) has always stuck with me as one of my favorites ever since first watching the show. Something about the initial ten seconds of the song just makes me feel nostalgic and ready to watch anime. It is a great feeling.
7. Favorite source of anime news?
Crunchyroll and Anime News Network used to be my go to sources, but now I really like catching an article here and there from my fellow bloggers.
8. An anime cliche you wish you never had to see again?
I am a sucker for a good cliche, so I can’t really think of one in particular that I want to completely do away with. But I do get tired of seeing the “childhood friend” shtick in rom-coms. I don’t really see how this friend is somehow infinitely better and far more superior in every way to the other friends.
9. Most interesting premise for an anime (whether or not the anime was any good)?
Deadman Wonderland, Death Parade, The Devil is a Part-Timer, and I couldn’t become a Hero so I Reluctantly Decided to get a Job are some premises I really like. All of them, save for the last show, are also fantastic shows. The last isn’t bad, but maybe could tone down on the ecchi content a little bit.
10. Main reason you would stop watching an anime?
Lack of time. I have childishly decided to not stop watching an anime even if I think it is terrible. Which is a pretty masochistic thing to do I think. But the way I look at it is, if I can sit through Tommy Wiseau’s sitcom The Neighbors then I can sit through any bad anime.
11. Do you collect any anime related merchandise and if yes, what?
I have been collecting a lot of anime source material like video games, LNs, manga etc. And I am trying to build a Nisekoi pendant/key necklace collection. So far I only have one key, but I suppose that is more than zero!
Nominations: I don’t have 11 people that haven’t already been nominated so I am just going to list people who might not haven’t been nominated yet.
- Aldael’s Attic
- YAHARI BENTO!!
- The Anikatsuki
- Inkling Infornography
- Plain Pasta and Plain Rice
- Reporting, From 20XX
If you have already been nominated (or just don’t want to make a post) feel free to ignore this.
- What made you decide to start blogging?
- What is your favorite non-anime TV series?
- What do you think would make for a great anime adaptation?
- Least favorite scene from your favorite anime?
- Fictional character you have/had a crush on?
- Favorite opening/ending theme for an anime?
- Favorite source of anime news?
- An anime cliche you have experienced in your own life?
- Most interesting premise for an anime?
- Anime you dislike but have to admit it is good?
- Do you collect any anime related merchandise?
I appreciate the nomination! It was actually a lot of fun answering the questions. Thanks!